When Counting Sheep Doesn’t Work
Tips on Snoozing Better:
- Keep your sleep environment quiet, dark, and cool–between 60 and 75°F.
- Establish a soothing pre-sleep routine (take a bath, read a book, practice relaxation exercises).
- Try to go to sleep and get up at the same time each day.
- Avoid bright screens and late-night television before bed.
- Avoid caffeine, alcohol, nicotine, and other chemicals that interfere with your sleep.
- Nap earlier in the day–or not at all.
- No big meals before bed. Try a light snack instead.
- Exercise earlier in the day.
- Don’t watch your clock. Better yet, turn it away from you.
- Go to sleep when you’re actually tired. Tossing and turning only amps up the anxiety. If you’re not sleepy, do something relaxing – reading, drinking a warm cup of caffeine-free tea, taking a bath, or listening to soothing music. When you are sleepy, go back to bed.
- Balance your fluid intake. No one enjoys being awakened by the need for a trip to the bathroom.
- Sleep on a good mattress that provides adequate back support
Mattresses for Best Back Support:
Latex mattresses are firm and supportive but also provide comfort similar to memory foam mattresses. Latex mattresses or mattress toppers are perfect for relieving back pain because they provide a great combination of comfort and support.
Southern Bedding, located off Huger St. near I-126 in Columbia, specializes in manufacturing high-quality latex mattresses and double sided mattresses. Not a typical retail store, they are mattress makers. At Southern Bedding, they utilize the highest-quality, environmentally-conscious materials to create your custom mattress on site, cutting out distributors and “middleman” costs. Southern Bedding also carries memory foam mattresses and pillows made by M Lily. Contact Karen Lanier at Southern Bedding for a mattress consultation. 803.765.9630