Chocolate Cherry Truffle Cake
Note: Our readers were having some difficulties following the original recipe we offered on this page. We have replaced it with a highly-rated recipe from Betty Crocker. Details and ratings at http://bit.ly/1NPn5ez. Serves: 12
- 1 cup semisweet chocolate chips (from 12-oz bag)
- 2/3 cup sweetened condensed milk (from 14-oz can)
- 1/4 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 box Betty Crocker™ SuperMoist™ chocolate fudge cake mix
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 4 eggs
- 1 box (4-serving size) chocolate instant pudding and pie filling mix
- 1 jar (10 oz) maraschino cherries, drained on paper towel, chopped (3/4 cup)
- Remaining sweetened condensed milk (from 14-oz can)
- 3/4 cup semisweet chocolate chips (from 12-oz bag)
- 2 tablespoons corn syrup
- 1 teaspoon milk, if needed
- Heat oven to 350°F. Grease and lightly flour 12-cup fluted tube cake pan. In medium microwavable bowl, microwave filling ingredients uncovered on High 25 to 35 seconds, stirring every 15 seconds, until melted and smooth; set aside.
- In large bowl, beat cake mix, water, butter, 1/2 teaspoon almond extract, the eggs and pudding mix with electric mixer on low speed 30 seconds, then on medium speed 2 minutes, scraping bowl occasionally. With rubber spatula, fold in cherries. Spoon half of the batter into pan; spread evenly.
- Bake 15 minutes. Remove from oven; immediately drop spoonfuls of filling over batter, keeping filling away from sides of pan and pressing down lightly. Carefully spoon remaining batter over top; spread evenly. Bake 42 to 47 minutes longer or until toothpick inserted near center comes out almost clean and cake springs back when touched lightly in center. Cool in pan 15 minutes. Loosen cake with knife around center and edges of pan. Turn cake upside down onto cooling rack or heatproof serving plate. Cool completely, about 1 1/2 hours.
- In 1-quart saucepan, heat all glaze ingredients except 1 teaspoon milk over medium-low heat, stirring occasionally, until chocolate is melted and mixture is smooth. Stir in up to 1 teaspoon milk if necessary for glazing consistency. Pour glaze over cake, allowing some to drizzle down sides. If desired, garnish cake with white chocolate curls and whole cherries. Store loosely covered in refrigerator.